We had these delicious nachos for dinner last night. I thought there would be leftovers for lunch today. I had planned on it actually. There were NONE!
- 1 bag corn tortilla chips
Pico de Gallo Salsa:
- 4 vine ripe tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped, for medium to hot heat level
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup, 2 handfuls, cilantro leaves, finely chopped — substitute parsley if cilantro is not to your liking
Beef and Beans Topping:
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dark chili powder
- 1 1/2 ground cumin, half a palmful
- 1 can black beans, 15 ounces, drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 3/4 pound pepper jack cheese, shredded, about 2 1/2 cups
Additional toppings to choose from:
- Sour cream
- Chopped scallions
- Chopped black olives
- Sliced avocado, dressed with lemon juice
- Hot pepper sauces
Arrange a mixture of 2 varieties of corn chips on a very large platter or use your broiler pan as a platter.
Combine salsa ingredients in a bowl and set aside for flavors to marry.
Heat a medium nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add oil, garlic, onion and peppers to the pan and saute 2 minutes, then add meat and crumble with wooden spoon. Season meat with salt, chili powder, cumin and cayenne pepper sauce (i omitted this). Cook meat 5 minutes, then stir in beans and reduce heat to low.
In a medium sauce pot, melt butter and add flour to it. Cook flour and butter 1 to 2 minutes over moderate heat, then whisk in milk. When milk comes to a bubble, stir in cheese with a wooden spoon. Remove cheese sauce from the heat.
Pour cheese sauce evenly over the massive spread of chips and top evenly with beef and beans and the pico de gallo. UBER NACHOS! Serve immediately as is or, garnish with your choice of extra toppings from the toppings list.
[…] using these spicy, tangy little babies. Of course, I could always use them to make some tasty Super Nachos. But, I was thinking more outside of the box on this one. I toyed around with the idea of […]
[…] now! 3. Making some Key Lime Pie Margaritas for the adults! YUM! 4. Super Nachos for dinner. These are amazing and also simple! So good! 5. Some Sombraro Cookies to […]