Have you ever had a Monte Cristo sandwich? It’s basically a fried ham and cheese sandwich,a variation on the French Croque-Monsieur. But it is not basic at all. OH my. They are so good. The combination of salty ham, turkey, melty cheese and sweet jam dipped in egg batter…… and fried…..and then dusted with powdered sugar is just genius. YUM!
Well, I made my own variation of the Monte Cristo the other day. I made a BLT Monte Cristo for lunch after church, and it was divine.
The BLT Monte Cristo is my new favorite sandwich. It was just perfect. Everything we love about BLTs (namely bacon) mixed with everything we love about the Monte Cristo (being fried!) equals sandwich perfection. I really think The Sandwich King should have me on the show! (hint, hint!)
- 1 pound of cooked bacon
- 1 large tomato, sliced thin
- 1 cup of spinach leaves
- 8 slices of your favorite bread, I used Brownberry Oatnut
- 8 slices of cheese, we like Swiss or Gouda for this sandwich
- 8 slices of turkey (or ham)
- 4 TBS of berry jam
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup of milk (or cream)
- butter for frying
- extra jam for dipping
- powdered sugar (optional)
- Spread a thin layer of jam on each slice of bread.
- Alternate and layer the cheese, turkey, tomato, a few spinach leaves, and bacon between two slices of bread.
- Make 4 sandwiches.
- Beat the eggs and milk.
- Heat a skillet or griddle on medium heat. Add melted butter.
- Dip each sandwich in the egg mixture. Add to the hot griddle.
- Brown the sandwiches on both sides.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving (optional)
- Serve warm.
When I was asked to review Brownberry products, I was super excited because Brownberry is the bread that I usually buy, anyway. WIN! WIN!
I buy it because all of Brownberry Whole Grain Sliced Breads and Sandwich Thins contain no high fructose corn syrup, and have zero grams of trans fats. They also contain 3 to 4 grams of fiber per slice. Health authorities recommend munching on 25-48 grams of fiber and 48 grams of whole grains per day! Look for the Whole Grain Stamp found on all of Brownberry Whole Grain Sliced Breads and Sandwich Thins Rolls. We especially love the OatNut and Nutty Almond varieties for our daily PB and J.
Do you have a favorite sandwich? Are you a sandwich architect? Well, good news. Brownberry is hosting America’s Better Sandwich Contest. The entrant whose filling matches the goodness of Brownberry Bread will win $25,000! Worth entering? I think so! Maybe the BLT Monte Cristo is just what they’re looking for!
- Before entering a better sandwich in the Contest, the entrant should make sure it includes any of the Brownberry®Whole Grain Sliced Breads or Brownberry® Sandwich Thins® Rolls varieties.
- There are four (4) sandwich categories in the Brownberry® “America’s Better Sandwich” Contest including: “Creative Classic” (a healthful twist on a sandwich that has been around for more than two generations, such as a Reuben, BLT or club sandwich), “Stealthily Simple” (maximum of five (5) ingredients), “Fueling Good” (ingredients that help boost your energy such as healthful fats, protein, fiber and iron), and “Meatless Marvel” (no animal products including land and sea animals may be included in the recipe).
- The recipe in each sandwich category with the highest score will receive a $5,000 category prize.
- Entries will be accepted July 23rd – August 22nd, online consumer voting will take place September 22nd – October 17th, and the winners will be announced on National Sandwich Day – November 3rd.
- To submit a recipe, receive tips on creating a better sandwich or learn more about the Official Rules visit: www.americasbettersandwich.com.
Wanna win some free bread and money? Of course you do! Brownberry has been generous enough to provide one of my lucky readers with 6 free Brownberry Bread coupons AND a $25 Visa gift card. How nice is that? You can try the goodness of Brownberry for yourself. Enter below.
Check out Brownberry Bread’s website and facebook page for recipes and ideas.
Disclosure : The coupons for product redemption, information, and gift card have been provided by Brownberry® Bread so that I could try the product and share my thoughts and information about Brownberry®. The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions of Brownberry® Bread.
Mary Happymommy says
I love tuna sandwiches.
i love the BLT
Lisa Brown says
i like ham and cheese
Janet W. says
My favorite is a chicken salad sandwich.
My favorite is BLT
tammy shelton says
My favorite is ham and cheese with mayo.
Jessica To says
My favorite sandwich is turkey and cheese.
Nicole Dz says
My favorite sandwich is a club sandwich. The best on whole wheat toasted bread. Awesomeness for sure!
I love turkey sandwiches.
Linda Szymoniak says
I grew up loving Monte Cristo sandwiiches, Long before there was a McDonalds on every corner and we had microwaves, we’d actually go to local diners that served large portions of great food for very reasonable prices. It’s so hard to find a restaurant that makes a decent Monte Cristo these days. Your variation of the Monte Cristo – with the BLT filling – has me really wanting to try this.
Dandi D says
It may sound weird, but my favorite sandwich is a grilled cheese and peanut butter sandwich!
Vickie Jones says
shauna price says
Kelly D says
I like tomato and cheese sandwiches.
I like turkey one a hearty wheat with smoked gouda, caramelized onions, sliced tomato, arugula and banana peppers.
Lisa Kubin says
I do love a turkey sandwich on rye with lettuce, tomato and a little mayo!
Stephanie Grant says
I love a simple mock chicken loaf sandwich with cheese on wheat :)!
My favorite sandwich is turkey
Turkey, cucumber & tomato.
Karen Glatt says
My favorite sandwich is my crunchy chicken sandwich.
My favorite sandwich changes….recently we’ve been really into grilled cheese with havarti and ham and mustard on honey wheat berry bread.
I like turkey sandwiches.
Janice Cooper says
My favorite is ham and cheese 🙂
Courtney Pies says
My favorite sandwich is definitely a BLT!
Barbara Montag says
I love a good BLT – thank you.
steven weber says
I like turkey, cheese, mayo and pickles on sourdough
Lisa Davis says
I love chicken salad sandwiches
shelly peterson says
I like turkey, bacon and avocado.
James Robert says
Ham and cheese is my favorite sandwich. Thanks for the chance to win
My favorite sandwich is a panini with homemade pesto, tomatoes, and turkey. Thanks for the opportunity for the giveaway!
Allison Downes says
Turkey and Avocado
Thanks for the nice giveaway!
Jessica M. says
I love chicken teriyaki sandwiches and cheese and sweet onion sauce!
Eva Mitton-Urban says
Favorite sandwich of all time Pastrami coupled with Sauerkraut/Pickles shredded Mozzarella Cheese, Lettuce on European Light Rye Bread. Toothpick and Toothpaste to follow.
Serena Powell says
I love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
My favorite sandwich is a Reuben.
Amanda Sakovitz says
I love turkey and cheese
Thomas Murphy says
I like ham and cheese sandwiches.
ham and cheese
Dara Nix says
My favorite sandwich goes back to my childhood — Liverwurst on Rye with Red Onions and brown mustard!
I love anything with bacon and this looks to die for!
Thanks for stopping by Merry Monday! We hope to see you next week!
Kate | The Organized Dream
This looks and sounds so amazing!!! 🙂
This sure looks good! I love anything with bacon!
Thank you for linking up at our Home Matters Link Party!
Have a lovely evening,
Looks good! Thanks for sharing your recipe at Motivation Monday on Mom Home Guide!