Have you ever had a Monte Cristo sandwich? It’s basically a fried ham and cheese sandwich,a variation on the French Croque-Monsieur. But it is not basic at all. OH my. They are so good. The combination of salty ham, turkey, melty cheese and sweet jam dipped in egg batter…… and fried…..and then dusted with powdered sugar is just genius. YUM!
Well, I made my own variation of the Monte Cristo the other day. I made a BLT Monte Cristo for lunch after church, and it was divine.
The BLT Monte Cristo is my new favorite sandwich. It was just perfect. Everything we love about BLTs (namely bacon) mixed with everything we love about the Monte Cristo (being fried!) equals sandwich perfection. I really think The Sandwich King should have me on the show! (hint, hint!)
- 1 pound of cooked bacon
- 1 large tomato, sliced thin
- 1 cup of spinach leaves
- 8 slices of your favorite bread, I used Brownberry Oatnut
- 8 slices of cheese, we like Swiss or Gouda for this sandwich
- 8 slices of turkey (or ham)
- 4 TBS of berry jam
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup of milk (or cream)
- butter for frying
- extra jam for dipping
- powdered sugar (optional)
- Spread a thin layer of jam on each slice of bread.
- Alternate and layer the cheese, turkey, tomato, a few spinach leaves, and bacon between two slices of bread.
- Make 4 sandwiches.
- Beat the eggs and milk.
- Heat a skillet or griddle on medium heat. Add melted butter.
- Dip each sandwich in the egg mixture. Add to the hot griddle.
- Brown the sandwiches on both sides.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving (optional)
- Serve warm.
When I was asked to review Brownberry products, I was super excited because Brownberry is the bread that I usually buy, anyway. WIN! WIN!
I buy it because all of Brownberry Whole Grain Sliced Breads and Sandwich Thins contain no high fructose corn syrup, and have zero grams of trans fats. They also contain 3 to 4 grams of fiber per slice. Health authorities recommend munching on 25-48 grams of fiber and 48 grams of whole grains per day! Look for the Whole Grain Stamp found on all of Brownberry Whole Grain Sliced Breads and Sandwich Thins Rolls. We especially love the OatNut and Nutty Almond varieties for our daily PB and J.
Do you have a favorite sandwich? Are you a sandwich architect? Well, good news. Brownberry is hosting America’s Better Sandwich Contest. The entrant whose filling matches the goodness of Brownberry Bread will win $25,000! Worth entering? I think so! Maybe the BLT Monte Cristo is just what they’re looking for!
- Before entering a better sandwich in the Contest, the entrant should make sure it includes any of the Brownberry®Whole Grain Sliced Breads or Brownberry® Sandwich Thins® Rolls varieties.
- There are four (4) sandwich categories in the Brownberry® “America’s Better Sandwich” Contest including: “Creative Classic” (a healthful twist on a sandwich that has been around for more than two generations, such as a Reuben, BLT or club sandwich), “Stealthily Simple” (maximum of five (5) ingredients), “Fueling Good” (ingredients that help boost your energy such as healthful fats, protein, fiber and iron), and “Meatless Marvel” (no animal products including land and sea animals may be included in the recipe).
- The recipe in each sandwich category with the highest score will receive a $5,000 category prize.
- Entries will be accepted July 23rd – August 22nd, online consumer voting will take place September 22nd – October 17th, and the winners will be announced on National Sandwich Day – November 3rd.
- To submit a recipe, receive tips on creating a better sandwich or learn more about the Official Rules visit: www.americasbettersandwich.com.
Wanna win some free bread and money? Of course you do! Brownberry has been generous enough to provide one of my lucky readers with 6 free Brownberry Bread coupons AND a $25 Visa gift card. How nice is that? You can try the goodness of Brownberry for yourself. Enter below.
Disclosure : The coupons for product redemption, information, and gift card have been provided by Brownberry® Bread so that I could try the product and share my thoughts and information about Brownberry®. The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions of Brownberry® Bread.