Lasagna Casserole Freezer Meal
I love freezer meals because they are a time and a money saver! I especially love recipes that I can easily double or triple so I have extra meals in the freezer to either pull out for unexpected company or take to someone in need. And who doesn’t love a classic? Here’s how I make my lasagna casserole freezer meal!
What you need:
- 12-16 ounce box of pasta
- 2 jars of pasta sauce (any flavor)
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 8 ounces Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 16 ounce tub of Ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup water
- Seasonings (basil, thyme, garlic salt, pepper, etc)
What you do:
1. Brown your beef or turkey and drain; set aside to cool.
2. In a large bowl, mix the eggs, ricotta & parmesan cheeses, and about half of the mozzarella cheese together.
3. Using another bowl, stir the pasta sauce and water together. Stir in the drained & cooled meat. Add seasoning to taste.
4. Begin building your casserole in a 9×13-inch pan by adding sauce, a layer of pasta then the cheese mixture, repeating the layers.
5. Top with the rest of the meat sauce and the mozzarella cheese and cover tightly with foil, then place in the freezer.
6. Thaw overnight in the fridge, and bake at 375 for an hour once thawed.
Some Helpful Tips:
- This recipe can be doubled or tripled! The only extra “cook time” is the meat.
- You can replace the beef or turkey with ground sausage, chicken or meatballs.
- The dish can also use regular lasagna noodles but I find it easier to serve with rotini or penne pasta.
- If you make your own pasta sauce, you may not need to add extra water. You need enough liquid to cook the pasta while it bakes.
- Looking for something different? Try pepperjack cheese on top, swap ricotta cheese out for cottage cheese instead, or add onions or peppers to the meat when it’s browning!