Gluten-Free, Grain-free, Paleo and Celiac friendly!
(I’m actually none of those things, but I AM trying to limit carbs and gluten.)
And since Kevin’s on WeightWatchers and veggies are no points…. I thought I needed to give this a try. I’ve seen these on Pinterest a lot, but was really skeptical that it would work. They just look so good and I don’t love cauliflower, so it seemed too good to be true. But, we had all the ingredients last night and had a hankering for some comfort food, so I gave it a whirl.
I am so glad I did!!! They were fantastic. Really good. Gooey on top, crunchy on the bottom. Almost just like a breadstick. You can eat them without feeling greasy and gross! You should give it a try.
Cheesy Cauliflower Garlic ‘Bread’ Sticks
What you need:
- 4 cups of riced cauliflower (explanation in directions)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 Tbs goat cheese (or cream cheese)
- 2 cups shredded Mozzarella cheese,divided
- 1 Tbs minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (but fresh would be amazing)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- Marinara sauce (for dipping)
What you do:
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Rice the cauliflower (turn 1 head of cauliflower into rice sized pieces.) To do this, clean and cut the cauliflower (remove the core). There are a few ways to “rice” cauliflower. Pulse it in a food processor until it’s a “ricey” consistency. I chose to grate mine with a box grater, worked perfectly. You could also use a knife to chop the cauliflower finely. An average head of cauliflower should yield about 4 cups of cauliflower rice.
- In a large saucepan, heat one inch of water until it boils. Add in the riced cauliflower, cover with a lid, and allow it to steam for 4-5 minutes.
- Use a fine mesh strainer to drain. Allow it to cool for a few minutes, then place the riced cauliflower in a clean dish towel and squeeze as hard as you can to remove any excess water. This is the most important step. Your crust will not get crispy if it has any water in it. It will get mushy instead….gross.
- Once the cauliflower rice is drained really well, transfer it into a large bowl. Add 1 cup mozzarella cheese, 2 tablespoons of goat cheese, 1 tablespoon of minced garlic, 1 egg slightly beaten, 1 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon dried basil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Stir well.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or a silpat) and drizzle a little olive oil about, just to be sure. Spoon the mixture onto the pan and use your hands to form it into a 1/3 inch thick rectangle.
- Place in the oven for 35-40 minutes, or even longer until the crust is golden brown and firm.
- Remove the crust from the oven and allow it to cool for about 10 minutes. Then top the crust with remaining 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, and 1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning. (or really whatever toppings you like)
- Return the pan to the oven and bake for another 7-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted.
- Cut into “breadsticks” and serve with marinara sauce for dipping.