Tomato Soup and a grilled cheese. There is nothing better than hot creamy tomato soup and a gooey buttery grilled cheese sandwich on a cold rainy day. How about homemade tomato soup? Yes! How about soup from scratch that you don’t have to slave over? Even better. You have to try this Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup. It is divine! Put it all together in your Crock Pot and forget it. At dinner time, you will have delicious homemade soup you can feel good about.
- 2 28 ounce cans whole peeled tomatoes
- 1 28 ounce can of tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, whole and peeled
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10 basil leaves
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- Freshly grated Parmesan, basil and sour cream for garnish
- Combine all above ingredients (except heavy cream and garnishes) in your slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours or until the veggies are tender.
- Allow the soup to cool a little bit.
- Puree the soup in batches in your blender until very smooth or use an immersion blender right in the slow cooker!
- Transfer the soup back to the slow cooker and keep on low until dinner time.
- Right before serving stir in the heavy cream.
- Garnish with fresh basil and grated Parmesan cheese and sour cream.
This soup is so good you will not be sorry! It is cold and rainy here right now! I might just make it tonight!
I like to use these tomatoes since this company uses cans that have no BPA in the lining.
And I would someday like to own this immersion blender. Isn’t it so pretty? And just imagine how much easier making creamy soups will be! No more blender mess.
I love soup! Check out some of my other favorite soup recipes.