My husband loves potato salad. I love sweet potatoes. And we all love southwestern flavors. So, it seemed natural that this sweet potato salad was born. And it’s a hit.
Are you looking for a new and delicious side dish for week night dinners? Do you have to bring something to a pot luck? Or are you just in the mood for something different? Well, then this is the dish for you.
This Spicy Sweet Potato Salad is a perfect side dish for entertaining this summer, or for any night of the week. It’s tossed with black beans, red peppers and cilantro (my fave!). It is bursting with flavor and a bit of spice and sweetness. Give it a try. Best part….no mayo! So, don’t be afraid to bring it to picnics or cookouts this summer.
Spicy Sweet Potato Salad.
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes.
- 1 TBS chipotle seasoning or rub (even chili powder would work)
- 1 TBS olive oil
- 2 TBS brown sugar
- 1 can of corn, drained
- 1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
What you do:
1. Put cut sweet potatoes and seasoning and olive oil in a large bag. Shake to coat.
2. Heat a frying pan over medium heat and add potatoes. Stir.
3. Cook for about 10-15 minutes or until they start to brown and get a bit soft.
4. Sprinkle with brown sugar and cook until tender and golden. Stir frequently.
5. Set aside until cool. Feel free to let them cool in the fridge.
6. In a bowl, stir together corn, beans, peppers, cilantro and potatoes. Mix thoroughly.
7. Serve. Enjoy. (Serves 8-10)