This bread is so delicious and so simple. I found a few different recipes and methods for bread in the crock pot, and I decided to try a few out. I tweaked them and this is the result. Soft on the inside, crispy on the outside, warm, delicious homemade bread….from my slow cooker! I am in love. I added rosemary, because I can’t get enough of the stuff. (rosemary garlic butter beans or rosemary sea salt, anyone?)
Slow Cooker Rosemary Bread
Recipe Type: bread
I love bread. I love rosemary. I love my crock pot. This is the result. Delicious rosemary bread, warm and fresh, soft and crispy. My mouth is watering.
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 2 tsp. active dry yeast
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. fresh rosemary, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups all purpose or bread flour (I used unbleached)
- extra rosemary and sea salt, for sprinkling
- In a large bowl, combine warm water, sugar, and yeast. Let sit 10 minutes.
- Stir in the salt, rosemary, olive oil, and flour. Stir until the dough forms a ball. Knead on a lightly floured surface for about 5 minutes, adding more flour as necessary to prevent sticking, until smooth. (mine was still pretty sticky and it worked out fine).
- Place dough ball in a lightly greased bowl, cover, let rise until doubled in size. (about 1 hour).
- Line your slow cooker with parchment paper, both long way and short way. Allow extra paper hang out of the slow cooker. Turn crock pot to high.
- Punch down the dough and form it into a round or oval loaf. Place it on parchment paper, cover with dish towel and let rise about 30 more minutes.
- Place it in the crock pot. Sprinkle the top with extra rosemary and sea salt.
- Do not open the top once you start cooking.
- Cook for 2 hours or so. Remove carefully by lifting up parchment paper.
- Cook time will vary slightly with the size and shape of your crockpot, just peek through the glass until it is nice and browned.
- I also browned and crisped up the top of mine a little more by putting it in the oven on high broil for a minute or two. (optional)
[…] been using my slow cooker a lot recently. The most recent crockpot creations were Rosemary Bread and Tomato Basil Soup and they were simple and delicious. This White Chicken Chili in the slow […]
[…] Muffins: No flour, pretty healthy, and a secret ingredient that you wouldn’t expect! 12. Slow Cooker Rosemary Bread: Make this in your slow cooker! Yum! 13. Banana Nut Bread: Got mooshy bananas? Use ’em […]