I absolutly love planning parties and entertaining. I so fondly remember going to my grandmother’s EPIC parties and family picnics, so at least, I come by it naturally. And just like grandma, I really like throwing summer parties the best. You get to utilize the outdoors, tripling your space, depending on the size of your yard. I feel like there are so many things you can do to make summer get togethers simple to host and exciting to attend.
I’ve put together a list of 11 tips to help plan the perfect, simple, summer party. Have a look.
Numbers 1. and 2. Extra seating and plenty of tables. Having a place to sit and chat helps your guests feel at home and just relax. Take a load off. Stay a while.
3. Large amounts of ice, cold water. Outdoor summer parties are HOT! Filling up a huge container of water for your guests to help themselves to is an easy way to keep everyone hydrated.
4. Disposable Cups and a permanent marker. It’s super helpful for kids and adults alike to know which cup is theirs on a table of cups that all look a like. I mean, you know, I love my friends and family, but sometimes I don’t want to drink after them.
5. Lots of cold drinks on ice. I grabbed some cases of Dr. Pepper Vanilla Float and threw them in a cooler with ice. This throwback flavor is so ridiculously delicious and you can easily find it at certain Safeway and Albertsons stores.
6. Watermelon. Enough said.
7. Things from the grill. Meat, veggies, whatever. As long as it’s been grilled.
8. and 9. Sunscreen and Bug Spray. I like to leave these out and my guests can just apply whenever they need. Nothing can put a damper a party like a sunburn or swarm of mosquito bites.
10. Outdoor games, toys and more games. When we have a party with lots of kid and adults, we like to leave out all kinds of games and toys.
Some examples of our favorites are ….big wheels, scooters, bikes, balls, the sand box (with a bit of cinnamon sprinkled in to keep the bugs away), corn hole, jump ropes, hoola hoops, frisbees, go carts. And a tree house always helps, too.
11. Frozen desserts. Popsicles, Ice cream. Whatever you like. But, frozen treats are always appreciated. We made this simple 3 ingredient Dr. Pepper Cherry Ice Cream and it was delicious!
Dr. Pepper Cherry Ice Cream
What you need:
- Ice Cream maker
- Rock salt
- 2 liter of Dr. Pepper Cherry (available at certain Albertsons and Safeway)
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can of evaporated milk
What you do:
Follow the instructions on your ice cream maker.
But basically, freeze the container and pour all of the ingredients into it. (starting with the Dr. Pepper)
Pack ice and rock salt around it.
Turn the machine on until you have an ice cream consistency (about 30 minutes for us, but I could have left it in longer)
Scoop out and enjoy!
Celebrate all your favorite moments of summer and throw back the memories, while throwing together an awesome party for the ages.
What are your favorite party tips? I would love to add to my list!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Dr. Pepper Snapple Group. The opinions and text are all mine.