I’m excited to be sharing this framed chalkboard project with you. My husband has been wanting me to do this project forever so I finally got it done. I love how it turned out and it was so easy! An Easy DIY Winter Framed Chalkboard is just what you need to keep things orderly and attractive during winter months.
Easy DIY Winter Framed Chalkboard
I love that you can easily grab an old frame somewhere for practically free. Using scrap material from around your home makes this super affordable. However, you can easily buy the products to make this at any craft or hardware store.
- Plywood, mirror or board to fit in the frame for the chalkboard surface
- Chalkboard paint (I used black spray paint, but you can use whatever color or application type you want)
This project for a framed chalkboard was practically free for us because my husband got the cool frame and plywood from his boss for FREE!! It was all just sitting in the back room waiting to go to a loving home so my hubby asked if he could have it and his boss willingly obliged. I love getting free stuff to make projects like that!
- My husband cut the plywood to fit the frame first. Next, I did a coat of primer and then 2 coats of the chalkboard paint.
- Next, I did a coat of primer and then 2 coats of the chalkboard paint. Of course, there was
- Of course, there was the drying time in there too so the project took about 8+ hours to completely finish.
- Once the last coat of paint was dry I covered the whole board with chalk to “season” it, then I rubbed it off with paper towels and it was done!
My husband is great at doing artsy things on big areas, I am not! So, he wrote out Let it Snow! and decorated the edges and sides. I love how it looks hanging up in my kitchen on the biggest wall we have in there. The best thing about this kind of framed chalkboard decoration is you don’t ever have to take it down when a new holiday or season comes around! All you have to do is change the sentiment and you’re good to go!
I love the frame my husband scored for us to do this project!! It looks great with the chalkboard. You can even grab spray paint and customize the frame to match your kitchen.
Here’s the view from below on the stairs.
This framed chalkboard is also great for use as an easy way to keep track of a grocery list or kids schedules! I love adding it to any room of the house and customizing for holidays or needs.
More Great Craft Ideas:
Megan’s a full-time mom and a part-time professional photographer. When she’s not busy cleaning up after 3 wild and crazy boys and hubby, she can be found holed up in her craft room making things. She loves to sew, scrapbook, make cards and create. She blogs over at Crafty Meggy expressing her creative side in a house full of boys. She posts all about her crafting, organizing and cleaning adventures.
Connect with Megan. You’ll be so glad you did!