Frozen DIY Ice Cream Play dough!
I am in LOVE with this project. It only cost 4 dollars and it only took 2 ingredients! The kids were absolutely into it!! It really looks and ‘melts’ like ice cream. It smells fantastic, it’s cold, and it’s so, so soft. It’s a fabulous textural and sensory play activity and it’s just perfect for summer.
We were planning on this being a little rainy day activity because it’s been
raining monsooning here for about 8 days straight. But, we were able to do it outside on the deck since it stopped raining for a couple of hours (YAY!) and we wanted to take advantage of that by being OUTSIDE! (I’m kind of over the rain!)
Then, we topped the whole thing off by having a real ice cream cone (with sprinkles, of course) when we were finished playing with the dough.
You can make this simple fantastic dough with just 2 things you probably have in the house right now! (seriously) It only took me a few minutes to put it all together. And NO cooking! Just mixing and then throwing it in the fridge! Easy Peasy!
- 2 boxes of baking soda
- Kool-Aide (a few packets)
- Ice Cream Scoop
- Pour one box of baking soda and kool-aide into a bowl. Slowly add water and mix.
- Add the other box of soda and water alternatively until you like the consistency. It should be wet-ish and also moldable. Not crumbly, but not saturated.
- Put the bowl in the fridge for an hour.
- When it’s cold, it’s all ready.
- You can throw some cones, cupcake liners and spoons in there. It does look like ice-cream so they may try to eat it. Once. 🙂
I first saw this cool idea on Pinterest (shocker!) and that led me here, at Bath Activities For Kids. Thanks! Seriously great activity! It would be fun in the bath too!
If you like this project, please come on over and follow me on Pinterest. I pin all kinds of great ideas for the kiddos.
Or try out our other homemade play doughs…