We had a snow day and some cold temperatures this week. So, the kids and I made these stained ‘glass’ frozen sun catchers. It was a great activity. They really got into it. I love the way they look on our porch. (You can tell kids live here.)
And the day after we hung them up, the sun came out for the first time in weeks. So, I guess they worked! 😉
What you need:
- ice cube trays. (I used some from the dollar store, some from IKEA and a mini-muffin pan)
- pie pans or large bowls or casserole dishes.
- food coloring (or you could use Kool-aide….it’s cheaper and smells good!)
What you do:
- Fill cups with water and color each with the food coloring.
- Fill your ice cube trays with the colored water.
- Freeze it.
- Pop the frozen colored cubes out and quickly put them in some pans and bowls. (The kids arranged them nicely, but it doesn’t really matter because they don’t stay that way.)
- Pour a few inches of cold water over the colored cubes. (The colored cubes start to melt pretty quickly at this point, so hustle.)
- Tie a string around an ice cube and float near the top of each pan or bowl.
- Pop the disks out and hang them up….outside. 🙂 In the sun.
If you’re looking for a few more projects to pass the next winter-y days…..check these out.
Spring will be here soon, enjoy the snow! 🙂
try it with a side of Snowflake Tortillas
Aren’t they pretty?!