I’ve been craving some good ole’ granola lately.
I found this recipe for Coconut Ginger Granola at Jens Favorite Cookies. It sounded delicious.
Of course, I didn’t have exactly everything I needed to make it, so I improvised. 😉
Here’s what I made….
Honey Citrus Coconut Granola
What you need
- 3 cups oats
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup flaxseed
- 1 cup dried cranberries (mine were orange flavored, but regular would be fine too)
- 1 cup coconut
- zest of 1 lemon
- zest of 1 orange
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3/4 cup coconut oil
What you do
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, mix together honey and coconut oil, heating just until smooth and melted. Remove from heat.
- In separate bowl, combine all remaining ingredients.
- Pour honey mixture over the oat mixture and stir to coat.
- Pour onto baking sheet, and smooth it into one even layer. Bake at 325 degrees for 20-30 minutes, until toasted to a dark brown, stirring every 10 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely before eating. Or not! 😉
It is really, really good. There are lots of different flavors going on.
It’s chewy and crunchy. Nutty and citrusy. Tart and slightly sweet.
I like the addition of the zest with the cranberries. Plus it has coconut AND coconut oil in it!
We’ve been enjoying this everyday in some form.
The bird loves it with almond milk as breakfast.
The bean loves the big chunks plain as a snack.
I love it with Greek yogurt anytime!!
I even gave some to my mom in a nice jar as part of her Mother’s Day present.
Who doesn’t love some homemade granola?!?
This looks fantastic! I love the idea of pecans and cranberries in it. I’ll have to try your version now!!
Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made says
This has everything in it that I love! Can you sub another oil for the coconut? While I love that — it’s not on our heart attack diet 🙂
Thanks! @Lauren. I am pretty sure that any oil would be fine. Good luck. It is SOOO good! 🙂