I came across this DELICIOUS recipe last week while I was trying to figure out what to make for dinner ……..at the end of a grocery cycle …….without the dreaded extra trip to the store!
What you need:
- 1 cup (8 ounces) plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup chopped seeded cucumber
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar (i didn’t put this in….i did add some lemon juice though)
- Gyro meat:
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 4 pita breads, halved, warmed
- 3 cups shredded lettuce
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 small onion, sliced
In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Chill. (you and the meat). In a large bowl, combine seasonings; crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into four patties.
Grill, covered, over medium high heat for 6 to 7 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees. Cut patties into thin slices; stuff into pita halves. Add lettuce, tomato and onion. Serve with the yogurt sauce. Yield 4 servings.