My whole family LOVES these egg cups. I’ve been making them the same exact way for years.
When my husband and I were first married, we tried one of those no carb diets. We were both working full time and he was in school, too, so we needed a quick breakfast that we could just heat and eat.
I wanted something that I could easily divide up for portion control. And something that I could make a lot of and keep in the fridge for the week. We had been doing just plain hard boiled eggs, but found that we needed something a little more substantial. And so the Egg Cups were born.
I really should have come up with a better name. Egg Cups don’t sound very appetizing. But they are oh. so. good. In fact, when I make them, I usually double it and make 24. I give a whole batch to my mom. And she and my dad eat them all week, too! My husband even has ’em as a snack sometimes.
The great thing about this recipe is that you can really make it your own. There are so many options. It’s really more of a technique. You can change up the meat and veggies and cheese to suit it to your family’s tastes or what you have in the fridge. I’ve even added salsa, when I’m out of peppers….so good.
I always, always, always make my egg cups with turkey bacon. I like the way it bakes and it keeps so well in the fridge all week. Plus it’s a great choice for staying fit and eating right because Butterball Turkey Bacon has 65% less fat than pork bacon and it’s only 25 calories per slice. I know exactly how many calories each of my egg cups is, every time. It’s a great choice to help you continue to enjoy your favorite breakfast flavors without the fat and guilt. It’s lean, tasty and fresh.
Now that the kids and I are back-to-school in full swing, I find that I’m again needing quick, wholesome, filling and tasty breakfasts that we can heat up and eat in a hurry. Egg Cups it is. The kids love ’em. I eat mine alone, no bread. But the kids like theirs on a toasted English Muffin. So easy and it keeps them filled up till lunch.
I make at least a dozen every Sunday. (Hint : If you double it and make 2 dozen, you can use the whole package of turkey bacon.)
Bacon, Egg and Cheese Cups
What you need:
- one dozen eggs
- 1/2 a package of Butterball Turkey Bacon
- 1/2 a pepper, chopped. I usually use red.
- 2 green onions, chopped.
- 1 -2 cups of cheddar cheese, shredded.
- salt and pepper to taste.
- muffin pan
What you do:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Add a little oil to each well of a muffin pan. Or you can use cooking spray.
- Form a circle with a piece of turkey bacon. Put one piece around the edged of each muffin well.
- Crack one egg into each bacon lined muffin well.
- Add sliced onions and peppers.
- Top each well with cheese
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the eggs are done and the cheese is melted.
- Eat as is, and they also fit perfectly between a toasted English muffin.
- They store very well for about 5 days. Maybe longer, but they are always gone before that in our house.
Look, that one in the middle is smiling at us. So nice.