It’s back to school time and that means I need to pull out some of our favorite casserole recipes some of our most loved “one pot wonder” dishes! We are about to be super busy with school and homework and extra curricular activities. It takes time to get back into our routine and that leaves no time to cook. I need quick fixes at the beginning of school.
This dish is one of my families favorites. It’s got everything we love. Cheese, rice, meat, more cheese, tortillas, salsa, beans and more cheese. Its simple to put together and we always have enough for leftovers. And I love left overs! They are even more simple than cooking the first time. HA!
I like to pair it with a nice salad and some avocado. It’s great.
Cheese 3 Layer Burrito Bake
What you need:
- 1 lb of ground beef
- 1 small onion – chopped
- 6 tortillas
- 1 can of black beans
- 1-2 cups of cooked rice
- 1 cup of salsa
- 3 cups of shredded cheese (I used a mixture of Mexican blend and Colby)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package taco seasoning
- TBS olive oil
- Cilantro (optional)
- Sour cream (optional)
What you do:
- Cook the ground beef in an oiled skillet on low to medium until brown. (I used to add a chopped onion at this point, but my youngest has a new and mysterious dislike of onions, so I omitted it this time. He better out grow this! I love my onions!)
- Add taco seasoning and mix thoroughly. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Spread olive oil on the bottom of your casserole dish. Layer two tortillas in the bottom.
- Top tortillas with cooked rice, 1 cup of cheese and beans. Spread around.
- Add two more tortillas to the top of that mixture to create the next layer.
- Spread the ground meat mixture on top of the next layer of tortillas. Spread salsa and 1 more cup of cheese on top of ground meat.
- Add remaining two tortillas and top remaining cup of cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes until hot and bubbly.
This dish makes 8-10 servings. So, we eat it twice or have people over. I love it for lunch the next day. You could also freeze it and pull it out when you need it. I also find it is the perfect recipe for when you are making a meal for someone else. Most people like burritos. 🙂
It comes together so quickly. It’s a great recipe to add to your list.
I used Crystal Farms Mexican cheese blend and Colby. I like Crystal Farms because it’s a natural product with few preservatives and a rich source of calcium. Plus all the products are gluten free and lactose tolerant.
They’ve been around since 1926 providing high quality great tasting products and are one of the largest cheese brands in the country. Plus, they are from Lake Mills, Wisconsin. So, I know they know cheese. I’m married to a cheese head from Wisconsin. It’s in his blood, too!
Crystal Farms is giving away one this gorgeous Le Creuset Stoneware Dish to one of my readers! They have great taste in casserole dishes and cheese!! I love it! Enter below.
I know that if I add cheese to any meal, my family will devour it. Cheese is my favorite food. Want even more ideas? Crystal Farms favorites is a great place to start.