So. My husband is from Wisconsin. And apparently when you’re from Wisconsin, you’re a Packer fan. And Packer fans are unlike the NFL fans that I am used to. They are craaaazy. Crazy for the Packers and crazy for football. This was all new to me when we got married. And now that we live in a house with a finished basement, he has been having dreams of a Packer room where he can watch his beloved. (and by beloved, I don’t mean me!)
But, the problem with this plan is that the basement is just one big open room. And it’s already a toy room, a guest room (thanks to a futon) and a very colorful homeschool room. So, I don’t really want to introduce a bunch of green and gold to an already very colorful multipurpose room. It would just be too much.
I was kind of afraid that he was planning on painting the walls green and gold. AHHH! So, I took matters into my own hands and started a little re-decorating today.
The walls in the basement are this strange textured paneling. And since we have a homeschool room in the corner with maps and globes, I thought it would be fitting to have a big silhouette of the great state of Wisconsin on the ‘Packer Man Room’ side of the room. I think I might end up painting “Go Pack Go!” in green and gold through the state later. I guess we need a little green and gold in there. I really like the way it turned out. Obvious but not obnoxious. And it goes so well with the rest of the room.
This project was really easy. Here’s what I did.
I used FrogTape®. Since my walled are textured I used Textured Surface by FrogTape. It’s the best painter’s tape ever! I have had some bad luck with other brands. FrogTape® is treated with patented PaintBlock® Technology, a super absorbent polymer that reacts with the water in latex paint and instantly gels to form a micro-barrier that seals the edges of the tape, which helps prevent paint bleed.
- I printed out a clipart of America’s Dairyland. (That is WI for all you that aren’t married to a cheese head.)
- I took my little clipart to the copy store and had them enlarge it to the size I wanted. It cost about $1.50. BARGAIN!
- I cut my enlarged copy out.
- I taped it to my wall and traced it with a pencil.
- Then I took FrogTape® Textured Surface and filled in the outline of the state. The edges were tricky at first, but once I got the hang of it, it went really quickly. I found that tearing the tape made some nice curved prices to use on parts of the map.
- I erased the pencil marks
- Then I used the FrogTape Textured Tape sealer and painted the edges to prevent paint bleed.
- I waited 15 minutes for that to dry.
- Then I painted my wall with two coats of fresh white.
- While the second coat was drying, but still wet, I carefully peeled off the tape.
- Whaalaa. A perfect outline of the great state of Wisconsin.
I found some really nice understated Packer prints on Etsy that I am pretty excited about. And I have a few other decorations and ideas to complete the room. I’ll share the after pictures of the whole room, when I’m all finished. But for now, The Badger State outline is a nice touch. I like it!
FrogTape® is on Pinterest.
Click here to follow the FrogTape Textured Surface board on Pinterest!
Do you have any projects that Textured Surface by FrogTape would be great for? I’d love to know.