I made the most delicious sandwich yesterday. Seriously. Amazing. And I used the slow cooker, so it couldn’t have been easier!
I got some amazing crusty buns called bolillos at Kroger. They are having a Taste of Mexico Event during the month of June so there are all kinds of fresh new Mexican products in the stores this month.
I used these delicious light, chewy buns to make some Mexican Pulled Pork Tortas! A torta in Mexico is a hearty sandwich filled with all kinds of great things like meat, veggies, jalapeño, beans, queso fresco or whatever you want! You can really make this delicious sandwich your own by adding any filling you like.
Here’s how I made mine.
- 2-3 pounds of Pork Shoulder (I’ve also used ‘country style’ boneless pork ribs since I had them)
- 1 TBS Chili Powder
- 3 cloves of Garlic
- 1 teaspoon of Oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 TBS Cumin
- 1 TBS Salt
- 1 teaspoon of Black Pepper
- The Juice of one Lime
- 1 cup of Stock (chicken, veggie, or beef)
- 1 can of Beer (or water or more stock)
- 4- 6 Bolillo rolls
- Fixings: such as limes, cilantro, tomatoes, avocados, onions, Jalapeños, queso, sour cream, lettuce.
- Place the pork into the crockpot. Add the garlic.
- Sprinkle pork with salt, cumin, chili powder, black pepper, oregano, cinnamon, and cayenne. Rub spices in. Do a little pork massage.
- Add lime juice, stock, and beer. Cover and cook on low for 8 -10 hours.
- Shred meat with two forks. You can do this right in the slow cooker (or if it’s still too hot, you can take it out, shred, and put back into sauce).
- Serve the shredded pork on a crusty, delicious bolillo roll with your favorite toppings.
Starting the first week of June 2014 there will be plenty of festive Mexican inspiration at your local Kroger store. You can check out Kroger.com starting June 4th for more information on the event and for delicious recipes! Savor World Flavor!