‘Chicken and Waffles’ Waffle Tacos.
Now that’s a mouth full. LITERALLY! 🙂 These do not disappoint. They are out of this world.
I made three versions of waffle tacos the other day and my family loved them and thought they were such a fun breakfast.
So, I started thinking about what other flavors would be delicious in a waffle.
And it hit me! CHICKEN AND WAFFLES! (It’s a real thing.) Some people think it’s weird (my husband), but lots of famous southern restaurants serve it. Including The Taste of Belgium near us. We went there last year and I ordered their famous chicken and waffles. Seriously amazing. It’s the only place I’ve ordered it, so I can’t compare….but so so good!
They serve it with a mixed green salad with big pieces of blue cheese on the side. And a fantastic mixture of syrup and hot sauce! Every bite was just mouthwatering! Here’s my instagram of my meal during our visit. (Yes, I do that!) 😉
So, I decided to put all of those flavors in my waffle taco too!
Honestly these are so good. You could serve these for breakfast, lunch or dinner! You could even serve them at a party or brunch. That’s how good they are. Simple, fun, finger-food but also unusual and interesting enough to entertain with! Try them out!
‘Chicken and Waffles’ Waffle Taco
What you need:
- waffles (your favorite frozen brand or favorite homemade recipe, here’s our favorite whole wheat waffle recipe)
- Chicken strips (you could make your own or use your favorite frozen brand, I got mine at Chick-fil-a ….because they make perfect chicken strips and why mess with perfection!)
- your favorite buffalo sauce
- pure maple syrup
- mixed green salad
- blue cheese crumbles (I picked these up at Chick-fil-a while I was there, too!)
What you do:
- If you’re using frozen waffles, thaw them out first, so they are pliable.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Now here’s the secret for perfect waffle tacos… You need a muffin tin! Turn your muffin tin upside down and fit the waffles in the grooves so that they are the shape of a taco.
- Bake at 350 for about 5-7 minutes or until they are warmed, but not too crispy. (If you leave them in too long they get crunchy, and will fall apart while you’re eating it. Believe me! You’re going for warm, but still pliable.)
- Make the buffalo maple syrup. Whisk together about 1/2 cup of pure maple syrup with about 2 tablespoons of your favorite buffalo sauce. I used a little more buffalo sauce for mine, adjust to your tastes. The combination of tangy and spicy buffalo sauce with the sweet maple syrup is so delicious. Please give it a try. It really takes these to the next level of delicious.
- Assemble your taco.
- I put mixed greens and blue cheese on mine but my kids left those ingredients off.
- Drizzle the buffalo maple syrup over it (or plain maple syrup for the kids) right before serving.
Do you like this recipe?
This post may contain affiliate links. For more info please read the full disclosure statement.