There is nothing better on a cold winter day then a bowl of Hearty Bean Soup! With the holidays over, ham is on sale everywhere! I bought a 28 pound ham this week for only $27!!!! As soon as I saw the ham I immediately thought HEARTY BEAN SOUP!!!
The best part about this recipe that it is very easy to make and it freezes very well! I personally make about 15 quarts at a time ( the recipe is super easy to double!!) and freeze in family size portions as well as share with other families. Hearty Bean soup is great to have on hand when you know a friend is having a bad day ( why not provide them with dinner and take some of the stress off!!) or to share with a new mom.
- 3 cups Great Northern Beans ( or 2 cans)
- 4 cups of water ( chicken stock is also great)
- 16 ounces Tomato Sauce
- 1 can of carrots ( I use 4 large carrots steamed)
- 3 small potatoes cooked
- 2 small onions
- 1 cup ham ( shredded or cubed)
- In a large pot combine beans, water, and tomato sauce.
- Puree carrots, potatoes, and onions together ( or dice into small pieces) and add to pot.
- Add ham to soup.
- Cook on medium heat for 20-25 minutes
Lindsay’s a green, crunchy mama to three and a wife to one amazing guy. She strives to raise her family as naturally and organically as possible. She went to school for Holistic Nutrition and is passionate about feeding her family “real” food! She blogs about her hippie holistic lifestyle at Crunchy Savings.com.
Check out Linday’s other posts here.
Connect with Lindsay below.