I made this lotion again recently and I just love, love, love it. It smells so fresh and clean and it just feels really nice. My skin is soft and clear. I use it on my face and body daily. I seriously love it. You gotta try it. And it could not be more simple to make. It takes a few everyday ingredients and a couple optional extras. I’ve made whipped coconut oil lotion before, but this time I added a few extra things and I now like it even better. It would make an amazing gift, too.
Coconut oil is so good for your skin and body. Most commercial brands of moisturizers contain high amounts of water (among other more scary things) which makes you feel like you’re being moisturized, but as soon as the water dries, your skin is dry again. Coconut oil provides a much deeper moisture. It also helps exfoliate your skin and strengthen underlying tissues.
Aloe vera gel is also an incredible ingredient for your skin. It fights the signs of aging and lessens the visibility of stretch marks. It treats acne, helps heal skin and is a fantastic moisturizer. What’s not to love about that?
And citrus oils help brighten dull skin. So, this is just the perfect lotion recipe!! Note, that there is some photosensitivity (sensitive to sun) with citrus oils. And some advise not to go out in direct sunlight for a few hours after you apply undiluted citrus oils. I have had absolutely no problems with this recipe and photosensitivity. I’ve worn it all summer with no additional sunscreen. Coconut oil has natural SPF. I think with the natural SPF of the coconut oil, the dilution of the citrus oils and the extra sun protection from the aloe vera in this recipe makes the photosensitivity not an issue. No problems here.
What you need:
- 1 cup of Coconut Oil (this is one of my favorites)
- 1 teaspoon of Vitamin E (I opened about 10 capsules and it equaled a teaspoon.)
- 10-15 drops each of Lemon and Lime Essential Oil (or any citrus essential oil)
- 3 tablespoons Aloe Vera Gel (I got mine at our local health food store, but you can get it here, too.) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil (optional)
- A mixer
What you do:
- Place all ingredients in the mixing bowl. Do not melt the coconut oil first. It needs to be solid to be whipped.
- Mix on high with the whisk attachment. Whip it for about 8 minutes. Just do it. Walk away.
- Spoon it into a jar and keep it covered and at room temperature.
- Enjoy you luxurious new lotion and soft skin.
- If your house is warm, it will melt. Mine does, but it doesn’t bother me. You could keep it in the fridge, if yours melts.
Please know that all essential oils are not created equal.
When choosing your essential oils, please know that there are different grades available. You can find some low priced oils in your grocery store or health food store. These low grades are probably fine for use in your cleaning products. (I’ve used them in the past.) But, if you’re interested in using essential oils for medicinal purposes, or to use internally, please be sure that your oil says they are safe to ingest. I recommend only using Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade essential oils, such as doTERRA.
You get all the healing and therapeutic benefits when you use oils that are CPTG. They have really changed my life. (I know that sounds dramatic, but it’s true!) When you use an oil, you want it to work and to be safe. Please contact me if you have any questions about how you can use oils for yourself and your family.
This post may contain affiliate links.