We have a garden. It’s awesome and we love it. I enjoy having something new to pick and eat everyday. The kids sneak cherry tomatoes right off the plant. It’s great. Really. But, sometimes, well, we get sick of zucchini. I always overestimate how many zucchini plants a family of four can eat. I also forget how enormous the plants actually get. They are HUGE right now. And then sometime around mid-August suddenly we have zucchini coming out of our ears. Sautéed zucchini, zucchini muffins, zucchini potato bake, zucchini bread, grilled zucchini, zucchini pasta, zucchini pizza. (I was feeling like Forrest Gump.)
I needed a new way to cook our over-abundance so of course I went where one would go first…..Pinterest!!
And I saw this lovely recipe from Buns In My Oven. It looked so good. I knew we had to try it. It was a huge hit just as I knew it would be. I mean, anything with cheese usually is. If you have zucchini coming out of your ears too, then this is a must try.
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 cup of brown rice
- 2 cups of water or chicken broth
- 2 TBS butter
- 1 clove of garlic (minced)
- 2 cups of cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 large zucchini (grated)
- 1 TBS chopped parsley or basil (we have that in our garden too!)
- salt and pepper to taste
- milk or cream or chicken broth to thin (if needed)
- Heat the olive oil in a medium pan.
- Add your rice and stir to coat. Toast rice, stirring constantly for a few minutes.
- Add water (or broth) and bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and put a lid on.
- Cook according to package. Usually about 20 minutes, or until most of the water is absorbed.
- Remove from heat and add butter, cheese, garlic and zucchini.
- Stir well.
- Cover and let rest for a few minutes.
- Add a little salt and pepper and your chopped herbs (and a bit of milk (or cream or broth) if it needs to be thinned)
- Stir again and serve it up!